pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Mansion Over the Hilltop...

A few months ago a friend of mine introduced me (through her blog) to something called an Inductive Bible Study. (Read her description so you understand how it works) It is something I have found myself really enjoying...although I haven't been as diligent with it as I had hoped, but maybe through my blog, I will find myself becoming a better student of the word.

A few weeks ago we had our Ladies Retreat and our theme was "Home is Where Your Heart Is" Mrs. Connie did such a great job teaching us about the importance of where we put our hearts. I found myself writing down every verse that she mentioned with the intent of doing further study on them. Well, after several weeks I am finally getting around to doing that deeper study on the verses.

My Verse of Study today is:

Matthew 6:19-21(ESV)“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.


In my words:
Don't worry about the things on this Earth. The things of this earth are temporary, they can be destroyed and they can be taken away from you. Concentrate on things of Heaven. Only the treasure you have stored in Heaven matters. It is ETERNAL!! Whatever treasure that you cherish the most will guide your heart.

My Thoughts:
As Christians we are citizens of Heaven. Yes, for a short time we call this Earth home. As the season changes from Winter to Spring, I see the beauty around me and I am in awe. Our Father gave us a beautiful place to call home. No matter how pretty we think it is here on Earth, it is NOTHING compared to our home in Heaven. Heaven is where our citizenship will be for eternity. Only the things that we give back to God can be ours forever.

As a mother I find myself reflecting on this verse a lot. My children are my most precious treasure on this Earth. And I want nothing more than to know that when the day of Judgement comes I will get to spend eternity with them. How do I do that?
* I pray daily for my children...and the men and women they will
grow up to be.
* I teach them the importance of putting God first in their lives.
* I teach them how to rely on God for EVERYTHING.
* I show them that I put God first in my life.
* I teach them the importance of giving back to God
...the list can go on and on. Being a parent is not an easy job, but it is a job I wouldn't quit for anything. It is a job that, when done well, will earn me the biggest pay check imaginable...sharing eternity with my children.

One day we will leave our Earthly home to be gathered into our eternal reward. The beauty and splendor of Heaven will be more than we can even imagine. We will leave our comfortable homes here on Earth for a Mansion in Heaven.

John 14:2-3 2In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

I've Got A Mansion, Just Over the Hilltop
I'm satisfied with just a cottage below
A little silver and a little gold
But in that city where the ransomed will shine
I want a gold one that's silver lined

I've got a mansion just over the hilltop
In that bright land where we'll never grow old
And some day yonder we will never more wander
But walk on streets that are purest gold

Though often tempted, tormented, and tested
And like the prophet my pillow's a stone
And though I find here no permanent dwelling
I know He'll give me a mansion my own

I've got a mansion just over the hilltop
In that bright land where we'll never grow old
And some day yonder we will never more wander
But walk on streets that are purest gold

Don't think me poor or deserted or lonely
I'm not discouraged I'm heaven bound
I'm but a pilgrim in search of the city
I want a mansion, a harp and a crown

I've got a mansion just over the hilltop
In that bright land where we'll never grow old
And some day yonder we will never more wander
But walk on streets that are purest gold




If you would like to follow me in these Inductive Bible Studies, and maybe study the verses too, I would love to read your thoughts, so please leave a comment. If you decide to blog about your own study send me a link to your blog. My next study will be a continuation of this passage...Matthew 6:25-34

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much. I needed that!! I do want to be a part of this daily bible study. Thank you for being my sister in Christ and I look forward to spending time with you in that mansion someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it!!! Share your thoughts completely - esp. about the children! May try to get in on these with you!

    ReplyDelete