pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

More Than Conquerors

A few years ago, we were visiting with my family in Arkansas for Thanksgiving. During the Wednesday night Bible Study, the teacher was asking people to tell their favorite verses and explain why they loved the verse they shared. I wrote down the verses and next to two of these verses I wrote a little star with the name "Daddy" next to them. As I was flipping through my Bible this morning I found this piece of paper and I decided that my verse today would be one of my daddy's favorite verse.

Romans 8:35-39

35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?36 As it is written,

“For your sake we are being killed all the day long;
we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”

37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.


In My Words:
Who can separate us from the love of Christ? Will suffering, distress, affliction, famine, nakedness, danger, or death? As it is written, "For Your sake we are being killed all day long, we are thought of as sheep to be slaughtered." No! in all these things we will be victorious (conquerors) through Him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death or life, angels or rulers, things present or future, powers, height, depth, or anything else in this world will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

My Thoughts:
What a powerful verse...Read it again....NOTHING can separate us from the love of Jesus. How amazing is that. Jesus died for us because he LOVES us. He has FORGIVEN us, even though we don't deserve forgiveness. "If we are His, then no power on earth, in Heaven, or in Hell can prevent Him from bringing us to Himself in the Eternal Bosom of God." (Halley's Bible Handbook)

I think as humans it is hard for us to truly understand the love that Jesus has for us. As a mother, I think I have a better understanding....but still it is hard to fathom. Why does Jesus love a sinner like me? Jesus is PERFECT...I am not, yet He still loves me. He still died for me. No matter what I do, Jesus will ALWAYS love me. He will ALWAYS forgive me if I repent. And He will welcome me into His arms on the day of Judgement if I live by His Word and obey His Commands.

I am thankful every day for the forgiveness of God...and thankful that I don't have to be perfect to receive it.

3 comments:

  1. I really appreciate these verses, too. I love the idea of "not this, not this, not this, not *even* this, NOTHING in the WORLD can pull us out of His grasp." Awesome thought.

    I do think this is one reason that God created parenthood...so that parents can really (sort of, kind of) understand His love for us, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure needed that today. I am saddened that my grandmother is in the hospital with Renal Failure and I need to feel the presence of the Lord with me. She is so far from me and I feel helpless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellen, sorry about your grandmother. She will be in my prayers. It is hard being away from loved ones when they struggle with health problems!

    ReplyDelete